Thursday, June 5, 2008

Miss me?

Sorry I've been away so long. As you probably know, I'm losing my job at the end of June. My department is being moved to our corporate office in Stamford, CT, and the group taking our work has been a little slow on learning how to do things (we were first told in September about our impending job loss). Now that the time is getting closer and closer, that group is realizing they have a lot more to learn than they thought (i think they thought we did nothing) and on top of me still doing my job I am now showing them how to do it as well.

Plus, with me leaving in 3 1/2 weeks, some people here in my Rochester office are trying to suck me dry of all sorts of excel and automation info. I enjoy that, but I wish I had more time in the day. But it has been fun, giving people some excel classes, both to groups as a group level (usually basic) as well as a one-on-one level. I have given a few classes here and there for people within my building before, but I am really starting to enjoy it. I wish I could do it full time! Maybe I'll play the lottery and hope to strike it big, so I can teach people for free for the rest of my life.

I know some of you think I'm crazy for that. Why not try and get paid for it? Well, for one, I just love to help people. It's why I love the forums. Beyond that, I live in a smaller market (200,000 people in the city of Rochester, 1-1.5mil in the metro area) and I don't think there is much interest. Then again, I'm probably wrong, so I'll have to look into that. Then again, if I move out of the area (looking at the DC area) I'd probably have many more opportunities. Of course an area like that probably has job openings for people like me, not for training but for automation/etc.

Either way, just wanted to give a reason why I've been gone. I did realize one nice thing about teaching people things: you learn stuff yourself. Someone showed me an XP keyboard shortcut (I'm a total keyboard guy), I believe it was alt-up-up or alt-down-down, I don't remember at the moment as I'm on a win2k machine. It wasn't anything earth shattering by any means, but always good to learn new stuff :) Another one I found was Alt-Home to go to the home page in a browser. Makes perfect sense, but oddly I never knew it existed; I use it all the time now.

I'll try and post some more tonight, I've been exhausted in the evenings but I should start trying to do more.

And for a treat for you, I'm gonna post a subroutine I wrote a while ago that I still love. It is very simple, it just returns a list of all "found" cells in a specified range as a range object. Very useful :)

Function FoundRange(ByVal vRG As Range, ByVal vVal) As Range
Dim FND As Range, FND1 As Range
Set FND = vRG.Find(vVal, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)
If Not FND Is Nothing Then
Set FoundRange = FND
Set FND1 = FND
Set FND = vRG.FindNext(FND)
Do Until FND.Address = FND1.Address
Set FoundRange = Union(FoundRange, FND)
Set FND = vRG.FindNext(FND)
Loop
End If
End Function


Unrelated to VBA, I wanted to give an update for mario kart wii. I got it when it first came out, and played the hell out of it for a week. So much so that my wrists started hurting :( So I have only played it I think twice since then, and both times were less than a half hour. Maybe I'll buy a gamecube controller to play it during my upcoming mini-retirement (aka: severance) to avoid further damage.

No comments: